Ridge was content just playing in the snow and did not want his picture taken!









The boys didn't have school on Friday, January 13th. I thought it would be fun to take them on a little overnight-er at the cabin. Candace, Kade, and McKenna rode up with us. There was maybe a half of foot of snow and there's this old road that runs through my parents property right next to the cabin that my parents were excited to turn into a sledding hill. My dad had spent the day before us coming up shoveling out a trail to sled down. Of course Dalton was the first one to try it out. We had been sledding for about 2 hours having a great time, we were just finishing sledding and then we were planning on taking the kids to the hot pots. The boys wanted to go one more run down the hill. Dalton was almost to the bottom of the hill. I glanced down to help Gunnar get situated on his sled. I heard Dalton scream and cry out in pain. Dalton is the toughest kid I know and rarely cries due to pain. I knew from the way he cried out that he was hurt bad. I ran down the hill as fast as I could. My Dad, Mom, and sister all saw him hit the tree. My mom thought that he had hit his head and was worried that he had broken his neck. He had hit hard. Dalton was laying in the snow saying, "owww, owww, oww!" I asked him where he hurt and he said his left arm. Phew! At least it wasn't his head or back. I helped him into the cabin and took off his coat. His arm was bowed unnaturally. I knew it was broke. My dad and I took him to the little clinic in Lava. They said that they didn't even have an x-ray machine and we would need to go to either Pocatello or Soda Springs. We headed to Soda Springs. We were just barely walking through the emergency room doors where a man and woman were walking out. They asked us what we were there for and my Dad told them we thought we had a little boy with a broken arm. The man said that he was the x-ray technician and he was just getting off work but he would be more than happy to take us back and get his arm x-rayed. Dalton's arm was being x-rayed about 30 seconds later. We were then taken into a room where the doctor met us and said that the arm was broke pretty bad. They showed us the x-ray. Both the ulna and radius in Dalton's forearm were completely broke and out of alignment. That's why his arm was bowed. The Doctor said that he needed to try to set the arm. Dalton squoze my hand while he was tortured. He didn't even cry. They put his arm in a splint and sling. Once Dalton was completely taken care of they had me fill out the paperwork. Of course we had just switched insurance and I didn't have any of our new insurance cards with me. On our way back to the cabin we stopped at a grocery store to get Dalt some Ibuprofen and Tylenol. We also stopped at Arctic Circle for dinner and a shake for Dalt for being so brave. Dalton said he still wanted to stay at the cabin. He got one of the beds to himself that night and slept like a baby. The next day we ate breakfast, the kids watched a movie, then we loaded up and headed for home. I made an appointment for Dalton to follow up with his pediatrician and they would see about getting him a hard cast. He went in the following Monday. His pediatrician x-rayed it and it looked way better then the first x-ray. The bones were lined up much better. But still not good enough. We were referred to an orthopedic specialist which we needed to see the next day. I took Dalt up to Harrison Blvd. the next day and the Orthopedic specialist said that the arm needed to be set again. He said they could sedate Dalt or if he was tough enough they could try to do it then. Dalton said he was pretty tough. He squoze my hand again as they wrapped the casting material on him and then tried to push the bones into place. He was hurting soooo bad, but still didn't cry. They then re-xrayed and came back with bad news. They said that the head surgeon had checked the x-ray and the bones were still not lined up good enough and they would have to try to reset it. They again gave Dalton the option to be sedated and he again told them that he was tough enough. They cut the cast off and started over. This time pushing even harder to ensure the bones lining up right. It was awful! Poor Dalton was shaking and his face was beet red. He had beads of sweat on his forehead and was squeezing my hand as hard as he could saying, "owww, owww, owww!" But still not crying! I was the one crying! It was one of the hardest things I've been through. This time after the x-ray they said it was good enough, and should straighten out more as it heals and as he grows. Right now the cast is molded in to continue trying to push on the bones to straighten them. His cast goes from his hand to his shoulder. It's been hard trying to keep this wild kid from hurting it worse. It hasn't slowed him down a bit. After a few days of adjusting to only having one functional arm he has become pretty creative and independent and functions pretty normally. Other than tying his shoes and bathing, he can do most everything himself. The hardest part for him is not being able to play basketball- he's been pretty bummed about that. He was only able to play in one game before he broke his arm. The day he got his cast arm and had to have it set twice we got home about 4:30 and he had a game at 5:30. I would have thought that he would want to rest after the ordeal at the doctor but he said, "I need to go to the game to support my team!" So he went that night and cheered for his team. He was in charge of bringing the treat that week and didn't want to flake out. His team was so cute. Erin had them make a poster, cards, and rice krispies for Dalt. He was happy about that and has them hanging in his room. He has had such a great attitude, even his teacher has commented about how positive he's been through this. He's just glad that he didn't break his arm before his baptism which was just the week before!




The boys didn't have school on Friday, January 13th. I thought it would be fun to take them on a little overnight-er at the cabin. Candace, Kade, and McKenna rode up with us. There was maybe a half of foot of snow and there's this old road that runs through my parents property right next to the cabin that my parents were excited to turn into a sledding hill. My dad had spent the day before us coming up shoveling out a trail to sled down. Of course Dalton was the first one to try it out. We had been sledding for about 2 hours having a great time, we were just finishing sledding and then we were planning on taking the kids to the hot pots. The boys wanted to go one more run down the hill. Dalton was almost to the bottom of the hill. I glanced down to help Gunnar get situated on his sled. I heard Dalton scream and cry out in pain. Dalton is the toughest kid I know and rarely cries due to pain. I knew from the way he cried out that he was hurt bad. I ran down the hill as fast as I could. My Dad, Mom, and sister all saw him hit the tree. My mom thought that he had hit his head and was worried that he had broken his neck. He had hit hard. Dalton was laying in the snow saying, "owww, owww, oww!" I asked him where he hurt and he said his left arm. Phew! At least it wasn't his head or back. I helped him into the cabin and took off his coat. His arm was bowed unnaturally. I knew it was broke. My dad and I took him to the little clinic in Lava. They said that they didn't even have an x-ray machine and we would need to go to either Pocatello or Soda Springs. We headed to Soda Springs. We were just barely walking through the emergency room doors where a man and woman were walking out. They asked us what we were there for and my Dad told them we thought we had a little boy with a broken arm. The man said that he was the x-ray technician and he was just getting off work but he would be more than happy to take us back and get his arm x-rayed. Dalton's arm was being x-rayed about 30 seconds later. We were then taken into a room where the doctor met us and said that the arm was broke pretty bad. They showed us the x-ray. Both the ulna and radius in Dalton's forearm were completely broke and out of alignment. That's why his arm was bowed. The Doctor said that he needed to try to set the arm. Dalton squoze my hand while he was tortured. He didn't even cry. They put his arm in a splint and sling. Once Dalton was completely taken care of they had me fill out the paperwork. Of course we had just switched insurance and I didn't have any of our new insurance cards with me. On our way back to the cabin we stopped at a grocery store to get Dalt some Ibuprofen and Tylenol. We also stopped at Arctic Circle for dinner and a shake for Dalt for being so brave. Dalton said he still wanted to stay at the cabin. He got one of the beds to himself that night and slept like a baby. The next day we ate breakfast, the kids watched a movie, then we loaded up and headed for home. I made an appointment for Dalton to follow up with his pediatrician and they would see about getting him a hard cast. He went in the following Monday. His pediatrician x-rayed it and it looked way better then the first x-ray. The bones were lined up much better. But still not good enough. We were referred to an orthopedic specialist which we needed to see the next day. I took Dalt up to Harrison Blvd. the next day and the Orthopedic specialist said that the arm needed to be set again. He said they could sedate Dalt or if he was tough enough they could try to do it then. Dalton said he was pretty tough. He squoze my hand again as they wrapped the casting material on him and then tried to push the bones into place. He was hurting soooo bad, but still didn't cry. They then re-xrayed and came back with bad news. They said that the head surgeon had checked the x-ray and the bones were still not lined up good enough and they would have to try to reset it. They again gave Dalton the option to be sedated and he again told them that he was tough enough. They cut the cast off and started over. This time pushing even harder to ensure the bones lining up right. It was awful! Poor Dalton was shaking and his face was beet red. He had beads of sweat on his forehead and was squeezing my hand as hard as he could saying, "owww, owww, owww!" But still not crying! I was the one crying! It was one of the hardest things I've been through. This time after the x-ray they said it was good enough, and should straighten out more as it heals and as he grows. Right now the cast is molded in to continue trying to push on the bones to straighten them. His cast goes from his hand to his shoulder. It's been hard trying to keep this wild kid from hurting it worse. It hasn't slowed him down a bit. After a few days of adjusting to only having one functional arm he has become pretty creative and independent and functions pretty normally. Other than tying his shoes and bathing, he can do most everything himself. The hardest part for him is not being able to play basketball- he's been pretty bummed about that. He was only able to play in one game before he broke his arm. The day he got his cast arm and had to have it set twice we got home about 4:30 and he had a game at 5:30. I would have thought that he would want to rest after the ordeal at the doctor but he said, "I need to go to the game to support my team!" So he went that night and cheered for his team. He was in charge of bringing the treat that week and didn't want to flake out. His team was so cute. Erin had them make a poster, cards, and rice krispies for Dalt. He was happy about that and has them hanging in his room. He has had such a great attitude, even his teacher has commented about how positive he's been through this. He's just glad that he didn't break his arm before his baptism which was just the week before!
Funny thing, when I was filling out the paperwork at the orthopedics office it asked what date the accident occurred on. I wrote Friday, January 13th. Friday the 13th! I hadn't even realized until then that it had happened on Friday the 13th. I told Dalton that, and he said, "no wonder I broke my arm! I'm never sledding on Friday the 13th again!"
1 comment:
You have one brave little boy. I would have been in tears too!! Hope it heals fast...
Post a Comment