Friday, September 26, 2008

What I've been up to lately



This is the type of stuff I've been doing lately . . . CANNING!!! It's sort of a love hate relationship, I love to hate it! Just kidding, sort of. So two days ago Geana came over and helped me bottle tomatos from Dallas and Joyce's garden. I have the best in-laws! So nice of them to let me use stuff from their garden since Jake and I didn't do a garden this year. With the construction we've had going on there was no way we could have done a garden this year. So Geana and I did tomatos ALL DAY Weds. while the kids played and ran around unsupervised doing who knows what. What's a mom to do while there's food to be preserved and stored for the winter?! No, the kids were actually pretty good Weds. (I think that's because Dalton was at preschool for two and a half hours of the day!) And we managed to get 48 quarts of tomatos bottled and every single one sealed! Thanks Geana for your help, I really appreciate it:) Canning is so much better with someone to help and chat with:)
Then today Alyson and I made salsa. HOLY COW! It's been awhile since I've done salsa. It is a very lengthy involved process! My feet ache so bad! The kids were a little more rambunctious today: Only one broken bottle, a broken porcelain figure, and a broken wall decor- but at least nobody got hurt! But what else are two four year olds and two two-year olds to do while their moms aren't giving them enough attention? They'll definitely figure out ways to get that attention that's for sure! We finally ended up getting 25 pints of salsa, all of which sealed:), and we are all alive and in one piece! Thanks for your help with the salsa Alyson, couldn't have done it without you:)
After we did salsa we made some spaghetti sauce with the leftover tomatos and peppers and Geana and her boys came over and we all had spaghetti dinner. The plan was that after dinner us three father-less for the weekend families would have a fun movie night, but I had to run to help set up quilts for a big stake relief society activity tomorrow. I didn't think I'd be too long so Geana and Alyson said they'd hold down the fort while I was gone. Well, I sort of missed the movie night. But they said that was ok and the kids were good, so we'll have to have another movie night sometime soon. Hopefully this time I'll actually be able to be there:)
I'm so grateful to have such good friends!

1 comment:

Aly said...

You are awesome! I had a good time with you, and am so glad we got that salsa done. Did you watch HSM 2 by yourself? :)